Our network

Riders worried after another deadly bus stop crash | News

Title (Max 100 Characters)

Riders worried after another deadly bus stop crash
Leonardo Ruesga

LAS VEGAS -- Bus riders are calling for more safety improvements after a grandmother and her granddaughter were killed while waiting for a bus.

Metro Police say Leonardo Ruesga, 20, was behind the wheel when he drifted onto a sidewalk Monday and hit three people at Sahara Avenue and Maryland Parkway.

The Sahara bus is one of the busiest lines in the valley.

According to police, seven people were waiting at the bus stop when Ruesga's car came up onto the sidewalk. Three people were hit

Riders call the crash ridiculous and tragic.

Grandmother Carrie Jones visited the scene of the crash to pay her respects.

"It's sad to see someone die, over someone drunk and driving," Jones said.

She dropped off flowers like many others have down since the crash.

Police markings on the pavement are a painful reminder of what happened.

"I feel sorry for the family," Jones said. "My heart goes out to them. I felt so bad at work, all night. My heart felt so much pain."

The crash claimed the life of Maria Garica, 58, and her 6-year-old granddaughter Alyssa Aisa. An 18-month-old girl was also injured.

Jones said, she is nervous at bus stops.

"I stand on the curb like this and wait for the bus, and then I come out," said said.

She would like to see some safety changes such as moving bus stops further back from the traffic.

"It's scary to be at a bus stop, nowadays, and I take the bus everyday because I don't drive."

Police say Ruesga drifted onto the sidewalk, hit the group waiting for the bus, and then took off.  He was tracked down at a nearby apartment and arrested.

His record shows he pleaded guilty last year to a gun charge connected to a stolen vehicle case.

He is due before a judge later this week for the bus stop crash.

Jones said, family members of the two killed, are in her thoughts.

"May they rest in peace, may their souls be all right."

8 News NOW reached out to the family of the victims, but they were still to stunned to talk about what happened.

Image shows the path of the car that killed a woman and young girl.